Earlier this week I made a delicious tasty salad using leftover food in the refrigerator. It was a quick and easy meal, prepared and eaten with 20 minutes! Everything except the sausage was precooked and sitting in the fridge waiting to be tossed together 🙂 Quick grill of the sausage was the ONLY cooking involved in this lunch 🙂 What follows isn’t really a recipe but a “how I threw together a quick, easy and delicious lunch” guide.
- Lettuce – I used Romaine
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Mushrooms – I had cremini
- Soy beans
- Strawberries – these were nearing the end of life in the fridge and needed to be used up!
- Sunflower seeds
- I love the sundried tomato Tofurky sausages! 29g of protein per sausage but I just used 1/2 a sausage for this lunch to save on calories (whole sausage is 270 calories!). Just dice it, and heat it up. No oil required! Tofurky is a vegetarian sausage made from Soy. For those that aren’t vegetarian/vegan you could use turkey sausage. If you want to try this though it’s available at most health food stores and some chain supermarkets, it is cheaper though at Trader Joes 😉
- Baby potatoes (yukon golds) pre-cooked. I cook the small bag (3lb?) all at once and just drain and store in the fridge. Love them cold, or heated up! These would have take about 2 minutes to heat in the microwave!
- TIP: Make sure not to overdo the potatoes: Remember your portion sizes!!!
- TIP: Potatoes are super quick and easy to cook in a pressure cooker (I have this one by MaxiMatic)!
As I mentioned I had some rice wine vinegar on the salad, then just added 2 tablespoons of vegenaise. That was it!
Loaded with vitamins and minerals. Carbs in veggies and potatoes and protein in sausage and seeds. Approx calories: 400 cals. To make this lower in cals I could have cut out the veganaisse, and used less potatoes. You can easily drop 100 calories there. However I didn’t want to because for me this is a lunch, or light dinner. The strawberries added a lovely sweet surprise to the salad, and was a great contrast to the spicy sausage! I’d definitely make this again!
Going to try sharing more recipes, food and nutrition posts! I’m not a great cook, but I’m trying.
This was super easy so why not try it yourself?
Disclosure: It’s always my policy to make you aware that links on this page might be affiliate links. Meaning that I may earn a small percentage from any sales from those links. Which usually buys me new kitchen toys, or workout gear!