How can I get rid of belly fat?
Ok firstly no, YOU can’t get rid of belly fat. There is nothing YOU can do can spot reduce where the fat comes off your body. Forget what the magazines tell you about “lose belly fat now” because it’s bullshit! You control your body fat percentage, but genetics decide where it goes on and comes off. There are things you can do to reduce OVERALL fat but spot reduction is impossible, otherwise nobody would be fat right?
So what can you do to reduce your overall body fat percentage:
- Increase your lean muscle mass: lift heavy shit, put it down, repeat. It’s not rocket science, the more muscle you have the less fat you’ll have. You’ll burn more calories at rest, and therefore burn more when you exercise. Bottomline muscle is GOOD!
- HIIT it: I spent years doing the high cardio low weight thing and it does NOT work. Reverse it. Heavy weights, and low cardio… but intervals! Get cardio in for your health but for fat burning intervals is where it’s at. Failing that just choose something you enjoy so you DO IT. I like spinning and running, but short distances. I don’t do HOURS of cardio a week. Heck I’m lucky to get in more than two cardio sessions a week!!!
- Control your mouth: the two points above are USELESS if you aren’t controlling what goes into your mouth. No fad diets, no crazy calorie restrictions. Eat REAL foods, mostly veggies and drink lots of water. We all know what we SHOULD be eating so don’t act like it’s a surprise that you have to eat more fruits and vegetables 😉 The reality is that if you aren’t taking note of what you are eating then the working out is basically wasted. You can’t out-train a bad diet.
ok now for a healthy recipe!
Butternut Squash “Fries”
Ok I am ALL for fries as a cheat meal but not everyday. I tend to go for the healthier option of sweet potato fries too where possible but I’m getting more adventurous and trying other veggies too. Last night I tried butternut squash (my new love) as fries. Now I don’t fry fries, I haven’t in YEARS. All that fat? No thanks. Baked fries are way healthier.
Anyway this works with other vegetables so try it with your favorites!
- Peel squash
- cut and scoop out seeds
- cut into ‘fry length’ pieces and place in a bowl
- lightly spray with olive oil – season if required
- place in oven (425° for 25 minutes)
I have to say they were delicious, and reminded me of sweet potato fries. Butternut squash has that same sweetness. I’m loving it lately: roasted, baked, fries, wedges…. good job it’s cheap in season 😉 What I like it that it’s a LOT of food, and I can convince myself it’s fries and “cheating” without actually cheating 😉 The meal above was a FULL plate, and I had ketchup too. Note that 2/3 of the plate are now vegetables: greens (broccoli, peas, beans) and butternut squash, with a vegan boca patty. Veggies need to be at least HALF your plate, always!
Try the veggie fries, let me know what you think!