When practicing yoga there are poses that we avoid, poses that we do infrequently, and then poses we do often. Because I have tight lower back muscles Happy Baby is a MUST in my own practice because it feels so good. But, there are so many amazing Happy Baby pose benefits for body and mind.
If you are looking for a more detailed post on how to do Happy Baby then try this post. I’ve detailed a few ways to make happy baby a little happier using props. Below you can watch a quick video on the happy baby pose benefits. Don’t forget to watch to the end for bloopers!
You can view the video on YouTube. Maybe add it to a playlist? Above all, remember to subscribe to my channel. New videos are uploaded every Tuesday and Friday. However, for exclusive longer format videos sign up for my Patreon community. Patrons also get early access to all my videos, along with other benefits.
10 Happy Baby Pose Benefits
Whether you are looking to open the hips, relieve back pain, reduce stress, and open your chakras, then Happy Baby is a pose that can do it all. Honestly the happy baby pose benefits are so numerous that 10 is just the tip of the iceberg.
- Release lower back and sacrum. This is my favorite thing to do for my tight lower back. Try it!
- Opens the hip and groin area. Due to the hip flexion and abduction of the femur, we open through the hip and groin.
- Stretch hamstrings, glutes, inner thigh, and lower back. Happy baby is a 4 in 1 stretch!
- Calming for the brain. How can you not relax, when you’re lying on your back enjoying yourself?
- Reduces anxiety and stress. The clue is in the name, HAPPY baby pose. Happy poses just aren’t stressed and anxious.
- Stimulates digestion. The compression of the abdominal organs means it massages the digestive tract and aids in pooping!
- Massage internal organs, specifically bladder and kidneys. Especially if you take a gentle rock side to side.
- Open the lower two chakras. The root and sacral chakras, Muladhara, and Svadhisthana. These are linked to primal needs and creativity.
- Awakens the inner child. It’s a playful pose, where it’s possible to feel secure, and content.
- It just feels GOOD! Seriously. Happy Baby is the best!
That’s 10 amazing happy baby pose benefits for both body and mind. It’s a pose that everybody seems to love and enjoy, but not realize just how good it really is for them. Now, you know, so indulge yourself and do it more often.
- Do you include happy baby pose in your yoga practice?
- Which of the benefits would be helpful for you?
- What activities make you feel childlike & happy?
I might just include this in my stretching and warm up routines. I love all of the benefits that you have listed, most especially the relieving of back pain part. I want to get a happy back!
I think we all need to work towards a happy back!
I love a bit of happy baby! It’s so calming and restful for me and I love how it opens up my hips (where I accumulate a lot of stress) x
You and me both Bethan!
I have never tried this pose before but I am going to incorporate it in my Yoga sessions. Doing jumping jack with my daughter makes me feel childlike and happy!
Yes jumping jacks are fun!
I don’t have a lot of experience in yoga, just starting to learn about it this year. That being said, I have never heard of the happy baby pose before now. However, given all the benefits, I think I need to make this a priority during my yoga time!
These poses have so many benefits that I never realised. Looks like they not too hard to do either.
Nope, happy baby is a beginner pose
Hey you are a pet lover so just get down on the floor and do happy baby, trust me dogs and cats love it and end up crawling all over you!
Indya | The Small Adventurer
I am yet to try this pose yet during my yoga practices, but I can honestly tell by just looking at you that it would greatly ease my back pain, so I’ll definitely have to note it down!
Yes, I do it for my back pain!
Happy baby is indeed one of my favorite poses – it does feel so good! Glad to know it has these benefits, too!
Glad you like it too!
Well, to me it looks like the “In trouble Turtle” pose cause if you see me in that position I may very well be stuck! But I have to say, I have been showing my wife your poses and info cause she has been complaining about lower back problems and she carries her stress in her back and hips so this may be perfect for her! Thanks!
Hahaha I love the “in trouble turtle!” pose! Stealing that for kids yoga! I’ve often heard it called “dead bug” too!
Hahaha! its really different when adults do them but its seems fun to do, really.
True, I would often giggle when I looked out to a sea of people in the studio doing happy baby!