Since the pandemic, and lock-down, I’ve done a lore more sitting. Sure I am walking my dog, and getting out in the garden. But, I’ve been in front of a computer much more than ‘normal’. Whatever normal means anymore. I wanted to do more yoga. And, yoga can be done anywhere. Even in a chair! So, I created this 5 minute chair yoga for beginners.
Chances are you’re sitting in a chair right now. And, chances are you’re also slouching. Or sitting in a weird, but comfortable, position. How long have you been there. So, press play below and just take 5 minutes to relax, de-stress and move. Without having to move away from where you are.
If you want to add the video to a playlist you can find it on YouTube. Remember to get updates Subscribe to my channel! I upload new content every Tuesday and Friday.
Chair yoga for beginners
While chair yoga is great right now, it also works post pandemic. I don’t think desk jobs are going away anytime soon. Honestly we all seem to be glued to screens more and more. So anything we can do to move our bodies, even 10 minutes at a time, is a good thing.
Below I outline the movements including in the 5 minute chair yoga for beginners class. And, perhaps more importantly, why they are included.
- Cat Cow – For spinal flexion and extension. Often we have a tendency to slouch in chairs, this gets the spine moving again to find proper alignment.
- Hip hike – This movement is lateral. Think side bending. Plus it gives you a butt massage at the same time. Bonus!!!
- Side bend – The hip hike was the warm up. Let’s lengthen and breathe into the side ribs.
- Thumb it up – Perhaps the biggest issue with today’s technology is that 90% of our actions are in front. Eating, sitting, driving, working, and phones. Use thumbs to open the chest from all the scrunching.
- Seated Twist – One of the other movements of the spine is rotation. Twists are a great way to get digestion moving, and relieve back pain.
- Have you done chair yoga before?
- Are you doing a lot more sitting during the pandemic?
- How much time do you spend at a desk in a typical day?
I didn’t know there was such a thing as chair yoga but it does seem pretty simple and easy to do. I think it’ll benefit those who spend more time on their systems than usual.
I think that’s all of us right now. And yep chair yoga is great for seniors, or those with mobility issues
Great video! i will definitely try doing it as an alternative to a small stretch I do every hour while working steadily
Thanks for this article. I want to stand doing yoga again and your tips will be very helpful to me. Btw, I like your sling top 🙂
chair yoga is an easy way to add it into your day!
thanks! I love slogan tanks!
Ooo I like the sound of this haha…no but on a serious note this would be great for my mum x
yes! We need to get everyone moving more! Let me know if she likes it!
This is new. Most positions I see don’t need anything since that is a great advantage to other exercises. well, a chair is a basic thing in house so its kind of simple to add.
Yep most images we see are of experienced yoga people showing what they can do. What we don’t see is the beginning stages. We need more beginning yoga.
I used to do this in the office not knowing it was called chair yoga lol I need to get back into my stretches with this sedentary life.
Yep I hear ya! Spending far too much time at the computer lately!
Kristine Nicole Alessandra
These exercises would be fun to do when I take a break from my online job. It will not only help me stay awake, but it will also increase my flexibility and ensure proper blood circulation. Sitting down for long hours can be so exhausting too.
Now this is yoga I could definitely do without thinking I am going to crack something.
Hahaha definitely! I keep telling people yoga isn’t all about headstands and backbends. I’m trying to do a little more accessible yoga for ‘regular’ people not contortionists! lol.
yes yes yes! Perfect for taking a break at your desk!